Key or Access Card Request


  • Request electronic and/or physical (key) building access.  

Distribution of Hard Keys

Hard keys will only be issued if a Building Access Request Form has been completed.  The requestor must do the following:

  • Complete the Building Access Request electronic form. A separate form must be submitted for each room or space under the responsibility of a different Dean, Director, or Department Head.  This form may be completed by another university representative on behalf of the employee or student named. 
  • The request form will be routed to the appropriate Dean, Director or Department Head for review and approval.
  • The form will then route to the Public Safety department for processing. 
  • Access control personnel will review and forward for processing if approved.  Access control personnel will review all requests for great grand, and off-grand level access.  If the request was not approved, the requestor, the named key holder, and the Dean, Director, or Department Head will be notified.
  • Once the request has been filled, the named key holder will be contacted through the system to pick up the keys.  The keys will be available in the Public Safety Center during regular business hours.
  • The key holder will have 14 days to pick up the keys.  At the time of pick up, the new key holder will be required to provide a University identification card, and sign the release form. The keys will only be released to that individual, no one else. 

Access Matrix

Type of Key / Access  Card Level of Access Authorized Users Rules of Issuance
Room Individual offices, residence hall rooms, laboratories, classrooms, and suites Room occupant Approved by appropriate unit administrator. For specific procedures for residential buildings, see Department of Residential Life Student Handbook
Access Card Specific door or parking lot gates Building occupant or parking lot assignee Approved by appropriate unit administrator or Public Safety   department Department of Residential Life Student Handbook
Exterior Building Individual key or access card for individual buildings Building occupant Approved by appropriate unit administrator
Residence Hall Access Card Specific exterior or entrance door, primarily in residential buildings Building occupants; Residence Life, Facilities and Conference Staff See Department of Residential Life Student Handbook
Partial Building Master / or Building Master Multiple rooms within a designated area in a single building Vice Presidents, Deans, Chairs, Directors and other unit administrators for areas under their control Approved by appropriate unit administrator, then Director of Emergency Preparedness and Transportation Services
Great Grand Master Exterior and interior doors in designated buildings Public Safety, Facilities, emergency responders Background check required. Approved by VP of Finance and Administration or designee
Off Great Grand Master Special high value areas Room occupant only Requires approval by VP of Finance and Administration or designee


  • Get connected with Public Safety professionals who are trained to respond to building access requests



  • Available to faculty and staff at SCSU
Request Service

Related Articles (2)

Who to contact if your swipe on your campus card is not working
What to do if my Campus Card has been lost or stolen?


Service ID: 50588
Wed 10/13/21 9:51 AM
Mon 5/8/23 3:43 PM