Which Parent's Information on the FAFSA


Dependent students with questions about which parent's information is required on the FAFSA.



Dependent students for financial aid purposes must provide information about the legal parent(s) on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you have a step-parent currently married to your legal parent, you must provide information about your step-parent.


If my parents are not married to each other, whose information do I use? 



The federal financial aid regulations are very specific on which parent's information to include on your FAFSA. If your parents are not married or are remarried, you are not permitted to merely select the parent who made less money. You must follow the requirements as stated in the FAFSA instructions.  

  • If your legal parents (biological or adoptive) are separated or divorced, or were never married, include information on the parent with whom you lived more during the past 12 months from the date you complete the FAFSA. If your parent is remarried as of the day you complete the FAFSA, also include information about your step-parent.
  • If you do not live with one parent more than the other, give answers about the parent who provided more financial support during the past 12 months, or during the most recent year that you actually received support from a parent. If this parent is remarried as of the day you complete the FAFSA, include information about that parent and your step-parent. 

For more information, see  parent information when completing the FAFSA. 


Submit a request for help



Article ID: 128769
Thu 2/25/21 2:47 PM
Wed 4/28/21 1:30 PM

Related Articles

Related Articles (3)

How to apply for financial aid.
How to apply for financial aid
Dependent students for financial aid purposes must include parent information.