Changing Graduate Student Admission Terms


Can graduate students change their starting semester?


Newly admitted graduate students wishing to delay starting their program may do so for up to one calendar year or three semesters – including summer term - from the original admitted term, at the discretion of the graduate program director and Graduate Studies.

Doctoral students may defer enrollment for up to two years to join the appropriate cohort. 

To request deferred admission please complete the Enrollment Confirmation Form on your Personal URL. Check your email for the customized address or go to to fill in your name and email address used on your original application.

International students will automatically receive an updated I-20 with the new information.

Extensions beyond one year or three semesters from the original term will require you to submit a new application for admission.

Still need help? Please contact the Graduate Studies office.Submit a request for help


Article ID: 129462
Fri 3/5/21 9:23 AM
Thu 5/13/21 5:12 PM

Related Articles (2)

How undergraduate students change their starting date/starting term